SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Division of Infectious Diseases
Stephan A. Kohlhoff, MD
Assistant Professor, Pediatrics and Medicine
Chief, Pediatric Infectious Diseases
Tel: (718) 270-7588 • Fax: (718) 270-2996
Epidemiology and pathophysiology of chlamydial infections, infectious triggers of asthma, pediatric HIV, antimicrobial stewardship
- Cellular immune responses to infection with C. pneumoniae
- Surveillance Monitoring for ART Toxicities (SMARTT) cohort of the Pediatric HIV/AIDS Cohort Study
- In vitro susceptibility of novel antimicrobial agents against C. pneumoniae and C. trachomatis
- Seroepidemiology of C. trachomatis in adolescents and young adults
Education and Training:
- Medical School: Freie Universitaet Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- Residency: Otto-von-Guericke Universitaet, Magdeburg, Germany
- Residency: SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Fellowship: SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
Why I enjoy working at SUNY Downstate:
There is a strong focus on Infectious Diseases, clinical as well as research
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
450 Clarkson Ave, Box 49
Brooklyn, NY 11203
- Kohlhoff SA, Sharma R. Iclaprim. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2007;16:1441-8
- Kohlhoff S, Kutlin A, Riska P, Roblin P, Roman C, Hammerschlag MR. In vitro models of acute and long term continuous infection of human respiratory epithelial cells with Chlamydophila pneumoniae have opposing effects on host cell apoptosis. Microb Pathogen 2008;44:34-42.
- Smith-Norowitz TA, Josekutty J, Lev-Tov H, Kohlhoff S, Norowitz KB, Silverberg JI, Chice S, Durkin HG, Bluth MH. IgE anti-varicella zoster virus and other immune responses before, during, and after shingles. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2009 Winter;39(1):43-50
- Sleiman JN, Kohlhoff SA, Roblin PM, Wallner S, Gross R, Hammerschlag MA, Zenilman ME, Bluth MH. Antimicrobial activity of sophorolipids. Ann Clin Lab Sci 2009;39:60-63.
- Kohlhoff SA, Dzhindzhikhashvili MS, Weaver D, Smith-Norowitz T, Durkin H, Joks R, Hammerschlag MR. Immune response to Chlamydia pneumoniae in allergic asthmatics and in vitro effects of doxycycline. 12th International Chlamydia Meeting Monograph 2010
- Roblin PM, Kohlhoff SA, Hammerschlag MR. In vitro activity of CEM-101, a new fluoroketolide antibiotic, against Chlamydia trachomatis and C. pneumoniae. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010;54:1358-9.
- Jao J, Kacaneck D, Williams PL et al. Pediatric HIV/AIDS Cohort Study and the International Maternal Pediatric AdolescentAIDS Clinical Trials P1025 Protocol; Pediatric HIV/AIDS Cohort Study and the International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials P1025 Protocol, S. Kohlhoff, member. Birth weight and preterm delivery outcomes for perinatally vs non perinatally HIV-infected pregnant women in the United States: Results from the PHACS SMARTT study and IMPAACT P1025 Protocol. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Sept 15; 65(6);982-989.
- Hammerschlag MR, Smith-Norowitz T, Kohlhoff SA. Keeping an Eye on Chlamydia and Gonorrhea Conjunctivitis in Infants in the United States, 2010-2015 Sex Transm Dis. 2017 Sep;44(9):577
- Banniettis N, Thumu S, Weedon J, Chotikanatis K, Szigeti A, Hammerschlag MR, Kohlhoff SA. Seroprevalence of Chlamydia trachomatis in Inner-City Children and Adolescents-Implications for Vaccine Development. Sex Transm Dis. 2017 Dec;44(12):717-721
- Wiegand RE, Cooley G, Goodhew B, Banniettis N, Kohlhoff S, Gwyn S, Martin DL. Latent class modeling to compare testing platforms for detection of antibodies against the Chlamydia trachomatis antigen Pgp3. Sci Rep. 2018 Mar 9;8(1):4232. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-22708-9.
- Butler MM, Waidyarachchi SL, Connolly KL, Jerse AE, Chai W, Lee RE, Kohlhoff SA, Shinabarger DL, Bowlin TL. Aminomethyl spectinomycins as therapeutics for drug-resistant gonorrhea and chlamydial co-infections. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018 Feb 26. pii: AAC.00325-18. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00325-18. [Epub ahead of print]