SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Department of Neurology
Katherine Mortati, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Neurology
Director, EMU and EEG lab
Tel: (718) 270-2959
Medical management of epilepsy, EEG patterns, Patient adherence and quality of life issues
Education and training:
- Medical School: MCP-Hahnemann University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Internship: Internal Medicine, Lankenau Hospital, Wynnewood, PA
- Residency: Neurology, MCP-Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, PA
- Fellowship: Clinical Neurophysiology and Epilepsy, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
Clinical trials in progress:
ESETT (Established Status Epilepticus Treatment Trial), Open Label Single Dose Randomized Crossover Pharmacokinetic Study of Diazepam Nasal Spray vs. Diazepam Rectal Gel in Patients with Refractory Epilepsy
Tuesdays at A7-387, Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
|1199 Member Choice
Aetna US Healthcare
AMERIGROUP & HEALTH PLUS MER
HIP of New York
NY Railroad Medicare
Senior Whole Health
United Healthcare - Empire
- Grant AC, Abdel-Baki S, Weedon J, Arnedo V, Chari G, Koziorynska E, Lushbough C, Maus D, McSween T, Mortati KA, Reznikov A, Omurtag A. EEG interpretation reliability and interpreter confidence: A large single-center study. Epilepsy Behav. 2014; 32: 102-107. (doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2014.01.011)
- Grant AC, Koziorynska E, Lushbough C, Maus D and Mortati K. Acute postictal confusion and violence: Two cases with unfortunate outcomes. Epilepsy Behav Case Rep. 2013; 1: 71-73. (doi.org/10.1016/j.ebcr.2013.04.001)
- Mortati KA, Arnedo V, Post N, Jimenez E, Grant AC. Sutton’s Law in Epilepsy: Because that is where the lesion is. Epilepsy Behav. 2012; 24(2): 279-282. (doi: 10.1016/j.yebeh.2012.03.021)
- Mortati K, Grant AC. A patient with distinct dissociative and hallucinatory fugues. BMJ Case Reports. 2012 Jan 19; doi:10.1136/bcr.11.2011.5078 (online publication)
- Marcuse LV, Schneider M, Mortati KA, Donnelly KM, Arnedo V, Grant AC. Quantitative analysis of the EEG posterior-dominant rhythm in healthy adolescents. Clin Neurophysiol. 2008; 119(8): 1778-1781.
- Mortati K, Dworetzky B, Devinsky O. Marijuana: an effective antiepileptic treatment in partial epilepsy? A case report and review of the literature. Rev Neurol Dis. 2007; 4(2): 103-106.
- Dworetzky BA, Mortati KA, Rossetti AO, Vaccaro B, Nelson A, Bromfield EB. Clinical characteristics of psychogenic nonepileptic seizure status in the long-term monitoring unit. Epilepsy Behav. 2006; 9(2): 335-338.
- Kuzniecky RI, Mortati K. Practical strategies for switching to newer antiepileptic drugs. Rev Neurol Dis. 2005; 2(4): 186-198.
- Rossetti AO, Mortati KA, Black PM, Bromfield EB. Simple partial seizures with hemisensory phenomena and dysgeusia: an insular pattern. Epilepsia. 2005; 46(4): 590-591.
- Mortati K. Drug seizure or seizure drug? Could marijuana be the next epilepsy medication? Epilepsy Professional. Dec 2009; 15: 10-13.
- Mortati K, Bromfield EB. Rates of seizure freedom among second generation AEDs. Profiles in Seizure Management. Oct 2004; 3(5): 11-16. (CME)
Azizi SA, Schwarz EJ, Prockop D, Alexander G, Mortati KA, and Krynska B. Utilization of Marrow Stromal Cells for Gene Transfer into the CNS. In: Neural Stem Cells for Brain and Spinal Cord Repair. T Zigova, EY Snyder, PR Sanberg (eds.), Chapter 15, pp. 395-409, Humana Press:Totowa, 2002.
- Zeng J, Mortati K, Liang J, and Libien J. A Case of Malformations of Cortical Development with Detailed EEG Correlation. Presented at the American Association of Neuropathologists Jun 2015; Poster #164.
- Chari G, Abdel Baki SG, Arnedo V, Koziorynska E, Lushbough CA, Maus D, McSween TD, Mortati KA, Omurtag A, Reznikov A, Weedon J, Grant AC. Inter-rater Reliability (IRR) of EEG Interpretation: A Large Single-Center Study. Presented at the American Epilepsy Society (AES) Annual Meeting Dec 2011; Poster #3.114
- Abdel Baki SG, Weedon J, Arnedo V, Chari G, Koziorynska E, Lushbough CA, Maus D, McSween TD, Mortati KA, Omurtag A, Reznikov A, Grant AC. An Exploration of the Diagnostic Reliability of EEG Using Latent Class Analysis. Presented at the AES Annual Meeting Dec 2011; Poster #3.113
- Grant AC, Marcuse LV, Mortati K, Donnelly KM, Schneider M. Spectral Characteristics and Maturation of the EEG Posterior Dominant Rhythm in Healthy Adolescents. Presented at the AES Annual Mtg Dec 2007; Poster #2.172
- Mortati KA, Rossetti AO, Bromfield EB, Dworetzky BA. Is the development of pseudostatus epilepticus predictable? Neurology. Mar 2005; 64(6): A187. Presented at the American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting Apr 2005.