Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Eligibility

Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) is used to define successful completion of coursework to maintain eligibility for student financial aid. Federal regulations require the University to establish, publish and apply standards to monitor your progress towards completion of your certificate or degree program. If you fail meet these standards, you will be placed on financial aid probation or suspension.

A student who is ineligible for federal financial aid due to not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements may appeal his/her ineligibility. Some examples of reasons for such a request may include, but are not limited to:

  1. Serious illness (physical or mental) for which the student needed to withdraw from all classes in order to recover, or remained enrolled at the university and did poorly in his/her classes.
  2. Death or serious illness or injury to an immediate family member.
  3. An injury to the student which prevents the student from attending classes and completing academic requirements.

Appeal Procedures

A written letter of appeal must be submitted by the student to the Financial Aid Office for review.

  1. The appeal should explain in detail the reason(s) for not meeting the standards for academic progress.
  2. The step(s) the student plans to take to correct his/her academic progress deficiencies.
  3. List in detail any extenuating circumstance(s) of which we should be aware.
  4. Appeals must be submitted and approved prior to the end of the semester for which the student is appealing to receive financial aid. The appeal must arrive at the Office of Financial Aid no later than the end of the first week of class. The Financial Aid Appeals Committee will review the appeal and will send a written decision to the student within two weeks of receiving the appeal. If your SAP appeal is approved you will be placed on financial aid probation until the end of the Spring term at which point your SAP status will be reviewed. Other forms of aid, such as State aid or scholarships, may not permit reinstatement.

Select a Program