Emergency Instructions

When the Student Health Center is closed the two alternatives for emergency care are the Emergency Services at the University Hospital at Downstate and the Kings County Hospital Emergency Room.

After hours, students should go to fast track in the Emergency Services Department at UHD in order to be treated. Serious emergencies (e.g., trauma or a situation requiring life support, among others) should be treated at the Kings County Hospital Emergency Room. The student should be brought to the attention of the admitting medical or surgical resident in the Emergency Room of Kings County Hospital. 

Transportation to the Emergency Room can be obtained by dialing 911 and asking for an ambulance if no other means is available. Students on campus who need transportation to the Emergency Room at Kings County Hospital or to University Hospital and do not need an ambulance are advised to call the Public Safety Department at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University at (718) 270-2626.

The Student Health Center provides complete primary care only to matriculated Downstate Health Sciences University students. These students have paid the Mandatory Student Health Fee. Non-matriculated students not paying this fee may receive required vaccines, tuberculin testing and health clearance for registration.

Husbands, wives, and children of students are not eligible for care in the Student Health Service. A student's husband, wife or child may obtain emergency medical care from the Emergency Room at Kings County Hospital or the Emergency Services in University Hospital. In such a case, the student is advised to inform personnel that he or she is a student and that the person who is ill is a relative.