SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation Medicine
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
Research is what allows us as orthopaedic surgeons to continually innovate and improve the lives of our patients. As an academic program, we place importance on resident participation in both clinical and basic science research. As fellowships become increasingly more competitive, research is also one way for a resident to improve their application. Projects that have been completed by our residents have allowed them to meet fellowship directors during national and subspecialty meetings where they have presented their work.
Clinical investigation of therapeutic interventions is what allows us to continue to improve clinical outcomes for our patients and advance the field. Residents have the opportunity to pair with a faculty mentor and be intimately involved in both prospective and retrospective clinical trials. Residents who wish to pursue academic careers in orthopaedic surgery are given the opportunity to propose their own studies and see them through completion with assistance from their faculty mentor.
Statistical expertise is provided by the statisticians in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, who also assist in methodology and study design to ensure adequate study power and to minimize confounders.
Our program is equipped with a complete biomechanics lab that is directed by Dr. Subrata Saha, Ph.D. and is staffed by laboratory engineers and Ph.D. candidates. Here we conduct basic science research in trauma, adult reconstruction, sports medicine, foot and ankle, and spine using both cadaveric specimens and animal models
Areas of active interest include investigations of novel fixation techniques in sports medicine and foot & ankle, bone mechanical properties, and fracture simulation. We are also actively involved in finite element analysis of femoral fracture models, quantitative computed tomography (qCT) for volumetric assessment of bone mineralization, and generation of digital three dimensional bone models for simulation of traumatic injuries.
Gait Analysis Laboratory
We are the only residency program in New York City with a three-dimensional gait analysis lab which we are currently using for research into the effects of surgery on dynamic gait parameters, particularly in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) and for evaluating patient outcomes following high-energy lower extremity trauma.
Unlike analysis of radiographic parameters, gait analysis allows for assessment of dynamic changes in the boney anatomy, center of mass, and ground reaction forces during all phases of the gait cycle. Gait analysis represents a potentially new direction in the assessment of outcomes following surgery which allows outcomes to be measured dynamically. Any changes following surgery can be compared to a sample of normal patients in our motion library in order to determine how close to normal a patient is functioning.
- Diebo BG, Lafage V, Varghese JJ, Gupta M, Kim HJ, Ames C, Kebaish K, Shaffrey C, Hostin R, Obeid I, Burton D, Hart RA, Lafage R, Schwab FJ. After 9 Years of 3-Column Osteotomies, Are We Doing Better? Performance Curve Analysis of 573 Surgeries With 2-Year Follow-up. Neurosurgery. 2017 Jul 21. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28973410.
- Obeid I, Diebo BG, Boissiere L, Bourghli A, Cawley DT, Larrieu D, Pointillart V, Challier V, Vital JM, Lafage V. Single Level Proximal Thoracic Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy for Fixed Hyperkyphotic Deformity: Surgical Technique and Patient Series. Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown). 2017 Jul 22. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28973349.
- Passias PG, Diebo BG, Marascalchi BJ, Jalai CM, Horn SR, Zhou PL, Paltoo K, Bono OJ, Worley N, Poorman GW, Challier V, Dixit A, Paulino C, Lafage V. A novel index for quantifying the risk of early complications for patients undergoing cervical spine surgeries. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017 Aug 25:1-7. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28841106.
- Jauregui JJ, Wu ZD, Meredith S, Griffith C, Packer JD, Henn RF 3rd. How Should We Secure Our Transplanted Meniscus? A Meta-analysis. Am J Sports Med. 2017 Aug 1:363546517720183. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28816515.
- Newman JM, Naziri Q, Chughtai M, Khlopas A, Kryzak TJ, Navale SM, Higuera CA, Mont MA. Does Multiple Sclerosis Affect the Inpatient Perioperative Outcomes After Total Hip Arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty. 2017 Jul 14. pii:S0883-5403(17)30589-2. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28780224.
- Yoshihara H. Indirect decompression in spinal surgery. J Clin Neurosci. 2017 Oct;44:63-68. Epub 2017 Jul 5. Review. PMID: 28688624.
- Dua K, Barsi JM. Heterotopic Ossification of the Peroneus Brevis Tendon in a Pediatric Patient. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2017 Jun 21. pii: S1067-2516(17)30317-4.[Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28647521.
- Casper DS, Zmistowski B, Hollern DA, Hilibrand AS, Vaccaro AR, Schroeder GD, Kepler CK. The effect of Postoperative Spinal Infections on Patient Mortality. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2017 Jun 9. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28604484.
- Perfetti DC, Chughtai M, Boylan MR, Naziri Q, Maheshwari AV, Mont MA. Atrial Septal Defect Increases the Risk for Stroke After Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2017 Oct;32(10):3152-3156. PMID: 28602537.
- Dua K, Abzug JM, Sesko Bauer A, Cornwall R, Wyrick TO. Pediatric Distal Radius Fractures. Instr Course Lect. 2017 Feb 15;66:447-460. PMID: 28594521.
- Dua K, Osterman AL, Abzug JM. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Initial Management and the Treatment of Recalcitrant Patients. Instr Course Lect. 2017 Feb15;66:141-152. PMID: 28594494.
- Newman JM, Wagner TC, Naziri Q, North WT, Navale SM, Klika AK, Barsoum WK, Higuera CA. Hematologic Malignancies Are Associated with Adverse Perioperative Outcomes Following Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Knee Surg. 2017 May 23. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28561155.
- Yoshihara H, Yoneoka D, Paulino C, Agarwal S, Reyna JR, Hasegawa K. National Trends and In-Hospital Outcomes of Patients With Solid Organ Transplant Undergoing Spinal Fusion. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2017 May 25 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28542105.
- Buckland AJ, Ramchandran S, Day L, Bess S, Protopsaltis T, Passias PG, Diebo BG, Lafage R, Lafage V, Sure A, Errico TJ. Radiological lumbar stenosis severity predicts worsening sagittal malalignment on full-body standing stereoradiographs.Spine J. 2017 May 17. pii: S1529-9430(17)30213-9. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28527756.
- Gofton WT, Illical EM, Feibel RJ, Kim PR, Beaulé PE. A Single-Center Experience With a Titanium Modular Neck Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2017 Aug;32(8):2450-2456. PMID: 28479057.
- Boylan MR, Perfetti DC, Naziri Q, Maheshwari AV, Paulino CB, Mont MA. Is Day of Surgery Associated With Adverse Clinical and Economic Outcomes Following Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty. 2017 Aug;32(8):2339-2346. PMID: 28413140.
- Boylan MR, Perfetti DC, Naziri Q, Maheshwari AV, Paulino CB, Mont MA. Is Orthopedic Department Teaching Status Associated With Adverse Outcomes Of PrimaryTotal Hip Arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty. 2017 Sep;32(9S):S124-S127. PMID: 28390883.
- Jauregui JJ, Kim JK, Shield WP 3rd, Harb M, Illical EM, Adib F, Maheshwari AV. Hip fusion takedown to a total hip arthroplasty-is it worth it? A systematic review. Int Orthop. 2017 Aug;41(8):1535-1542. PMID: 28349181.
- Perfetti DC, Boylan MR, Naziri Q, Paulino CB, Kurtz SM, Mont MA. Have Periprosthetic Hip Infection Rates Plateaued? J Arthroplasty. 2017 Jul;32(7):2244-2247. PMID: 28318862.
- Scollan JP, Jauregui JJ, Jacobsen CM, Abzug JM. The Outcomes of Nonelongating Intramedullary Fixation of the Lower Extremity for Pediatric Osteogenesis Imperfecta Patients: A Meta-analysis. J Pediatr Orthop. 2017 Jul/Aug;37(5):e313-e316. PMID: 28277468.
- Gaines EB, Lau D, Naziri Q, Hayes W, Jauregui JJ, Kapadia BH, Urban WP, Zikria BA. A biomechanical analysis of tibial ACL reconstruction with graft length mismatch. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2017 Jan;25(1):2309499017690983. PMID: 28211291.
- Boylan MR, Perfetti DC, Kapadia BH, Delanois RE, Paulino CB, Mont MA. Venous Thromboembolic Disease in Revision vs Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2017 Jun;32(6):1996-1999. PMID: 28209273.
- Jauregui JJ, Yarmis SJ, Tsai J, Onuoha KO, Illical E, Paulino CB. Fasciotomy closure techniques. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2017 Jan;25(1):2309499016684724. PMID: 28176601.
- Diebo BG, Jalai CM, Challier V, Marascalchi BJ, Horn SR, Poorman GW, Bono OJ, Cherkalin D, Worley N, Oh J, Naziri Q, Spitzer A, Radcliff K, Patel A, Lafage V, Paulino CB, Passias PG. Novel Index to Quantify the Risk of Surgery in the Setting of Adult Spinal Deformity: A Study on 10,912 Patients From the Nationwide Inpatient Sample. Clin Spine Surg. 2017 Aug;30(7):E993-E999. PMID: 28169941.
- Kovar F, Jauregui JJ, Specht SC, Baker E, Bhave A, Herzenberg JE. Upper Extremity Nerve Function and Pain in Human Volunteers with Narrow versus Wide Tourniquets. J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 2016;26(2):173-181. PMID: 28094742.
- Mait JE, Hayes WT, Blum CL, Pivec R, Zaino CJ, Jauregui JJ, Saha S, Uribe JA, Urban WP. A Biomechanical Comparison of Different Tendon Repair Techniques. J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 2016;26(2):167-171. PMID: 28094741.
- Tsai J, Pivec R, Jauregui JJ, Hayes WT, McLeold M, Naziri Q, Kapadia BH, Saha S, Uribe JA. Strength of Syndesmosis Fixation: Two TightRope versus One TightRope with Plate-and-Screw Construct. J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 2016;26(2):161-165. PMID: 28094740.
- Frumberg DB, Epstein SE, Jauregui JJ, Pivec R, Maheshwari AV. Prosthetic hip infection with Edwardsiella tarda in sickle cell beta thalassemia disease: A case report. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2016 Oct-Dec;7(Suppl 1):130-133. PMID: 28018092
- Maheshwari AV, Yarmis SJ, Tsai J, Jauregui JJ. Progression of bisphosphonate-associated impending atypical femoral fracture despite prophylactic cephalomedullary nailing: A case report and review of literature. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2016 Oct-Dec;7(Suppl 1):92-98. PMID: 28018083
- Perfetti DC, Schwarzkopf R, Buckland AJ, Paulino CB, Vigdorchik JM. Prosthetic Dislocation and Revision After Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty in Lumbar Fusion Patients: A Propensity Score Matched-Pair Analysis. J Arthroplasty. 2017 May;32(5):1635-1640.e1. PMID: 27998660.
- Browning BB, Ventimiglia AV, Dixit A, Illical E, Urban WP, Jauregui JJ. Does the saline load test still have a role in the orthopaedic world? A systematic review of the literature. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2016 Dec;50(6):597-600. PMID: 27979366.
- Issa K, Pierce CM, Pierce TP, Boylan MR, Zikria BA, Naziri Q, Festa A, McInerney VK, Scillia AJ. Total Shoulder Arthroplasty Demographics, Incidence, and Complications-A Nationwide Inpatient Sample Database Study. Surg Technol Int. 2016 Oct 26;XXIX:240-246. PMID: 27608744.
- Casagrande DJ, Morris RP, Carayannopoulos NL, Buford WL. Relationship Between Ulnar Variance, Cortical Bone Density, and Load to Failure in the Distal Radius at the Typical Site of Fracture Initiation. J Hand Surg Am. 2016 Dec;41(12):e461-e468. PMID: 27707565.
- Jauregui JJ, Ventimiglia AV, Grieco PW, Frumberg DB, Herzenberg JE. Regenerate bone stimulation following limb lengthening: a meta-analysis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016 Sep 29;17(1):407. PMID: 27686373
- Jauregui JJ, Perfetti DC, Cautela FS, Frumberg DB, Naziri Q, Paulino CB. Spine Injuries in Child Abuse. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016 Sep 22. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27662382.
- Sathappan SS, Tan MW, Ginat D, Walsh MG, Schweitzer ME, Di Cesare PE. Correlation between the distal anterior femoral cortical axis and femoral rotational alignment: an anatomic study. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2016 Aug;24(2):198-203. PMID: 27574263.
- Yoshihara H, Yoneoka D, Margalit A. National trends and in-hospital outcomes in patients with rheumatoid arthritis undergoing elective atlantoaxial spinal fusion surgery. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2016 Nov-Dec;34(6):1045-1050. Epub 2016 Jul 26. PMID: 27464243.
- Yoshihara H, Chatterjee D, Paulino CB, Errico TJ. Revision Surgery for "Real" Recurrent Lumbar Disk Herniation: A Systematic Review. Clin Spine Surg. 2016 Apr;29(3):111-8. PMID: 27002374.